As we age, there seems to be skepticism about our dreams and if we’ll accomplish them before we age too much. How many of us have heard someone say:
- “Well, I’m too old for that.”
- “If I haven’t done it by then, I won’t do it now.”
- “Maybe later I’ll get to it. Too much on my plate right now.
- “I’m way too tired and I’ve done far too much.”
The older we get, the harder people seem to think it is to accomplish their dreams or even have little goals. (And really, that’s kind of sad if you think about it!) Even though some believe age is only a number on your cake, that notion can be hard to shake.
Why is this such a common thought amongst people as they age? Why do people think that time is a factor for dreams? Is this simply because time is the biggest factor to us accomplishing something or is it just another excuse holding us down from something we’ve always wanted to do?
I don’t want to sound incredibly cliché here, but there is no better time…start now!
If age has been a huge deciding factor into whether you get started on or attempt accomplishing a goal for yourself don’t let age stop you. Take an actual moment to think about what would happen if you stopped letting that notion hold you back from dreams you’ve always wanted to accomplish.
Comic genius Stan Lee created his first superhero team in 1961 when he was 39 years old. Julia Child did not even eat French food until she was 36. But she loved it so much that she studied the cuisine fanatically until she had enough knowledge to host The French Chef at 51. Mark Twain published “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” at 49
It’s the power of our own mind and perspective on age which puts our dreams on a bucket list instead. (Not that a bucket list is a bad thing, I have one myself.) But we don’t have to put our dreams on the bucket list of things we might accomplish one day.
- Is there a book or story you’ve always wanted to write? Get it started! Now! Go ahead, you have permission to get that creativity out into the world!
- Is there a place you’ve always wanted to explore? Make those plans to get there, even if it’s next year or five years away!
- Has there been a type of food you’ve always wanted to try? (Yes! This can be a dream for some out there!) Put on that bib! Food contest anyone?
- What about that one person you’ve always wanted to meet? Stop being scared and just introduce yourself already!
- What about owning a home or going after that career you’ve always wanted? It’s waiting for you, make a plan and follow that trail.
- How about the family you dream of starting? What’s holding you back?
- Want to learn an instrument or how to sing? Tons of people do this!
- Go to a concert of your favorite band?
- Heal a past relationship or heal yourself?
- Travel to a new place?
- Visit an old friend or family member? They’ve probably been waiting for you.
- Party hard or explore what you’re capable of? You definitely can do this!
All of these things look small on paper but can feel BIG to some of us as we get older. However, the further we get into our aging process, the more we tend to think skeptical thoughts about if we’ll get that chance:Maybe I’ll die before I get to try _____. I don’t want to hurt myself or do something wrong. Maybe it’s not meant for me anymore. Maybe this, maybe that.
You have the power inside of you to allow yourself to take that chance, instead of living on ‘maybes’.
Life has more to offer us in every second than every moment of regret. We waste time worrying instead of grabbing that dream–no matter how large or small of a dream. Living life to the fullest may require some growth, but taking our chances at something we’ve always wanted to try, will give us a huge chunk of life(time) growth under our belts. Sometimes all we have to do is stop getting in the way of ourselves and start pushing ourselves from the inside out, ever so slowly, and encouraging that experience to happen.
Let me get you started with a nudge. Do it for you and follow your heart and start believing in yourself. Just try it, you might be surprised at what you can do at your age! Do it for your soulrenity!